The Armed Forces champion has been put in place to maintain Middlesbrough Council's commitment to support the Armed Forces and their families and veterans, and raise the profile of the support provided by the council and the community.
The role of the Armed Forces champion is to:
- be the key link/contact between Middlesbrough Council and the Armed Forces community in Middlesbrough
- be kept up to date on activities being undertaken locally to support service personnel and their families
- have up to date knowledge on any Armed Forces issues and be able to provide information on local activities
- attend events on behalf of the Mayor relating to the Armed Forces
- raise the profile of the Armed Forces and ex-Service personnel and promote local events
- develop and encourage local businesses to support the Covenant
Armed Forces Champions - 2019/2020
Councillor Ron Arundale
Councillor Ron Arundale, a former member of the Parachute Regiment, is actively involved with the Armed Forces and keeps in regular contact and ensures Middlesbrough Council engages wherever possible with the Armed Forces community, the ex-Service community and their families.
Councillor Arundale was Armed Forces Champion from 2012 to 2016, and was responsible for organising Middlesbrough's Armed Forces Day, regularly attended the Tees Valley Armed Forces Forum, as well as other one-off Armed Forces events. He is also an active member of the community and is seen as an important figure in the town.
Councillor Barrie Cooper
"I am proud to be associated with our Armed Forces and look forward to honouring all that they do for us and in return helping them and their families.
My grandfather returned wounded from Dunkirk. and my father served and was one of the soldiers shown in the film Red Beret. My brother and my son have both served in our Armed Forces, and I was a member of our Armed Forces Reserve.
I have for many years made a monthly contribution to the Royal British Legion and continue to do so."
The Armed Forces Champions can be contacted via email:
Councillor Arundale: firstname.lastname@example.org
Councillor Cooper: email@example.com
Post: c/o Democratic Services, Town Hall, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FX